In celebration of reading Bilal Cooks Daal by Aisha Saeed, we cooked daal ourselves! Students chopped tomatoes, coriander, pressed garlic, grated ginger, squeezed lemons, measured spices and mixed it all together!
We had so much fun! And, the daal was absolutely delicious!
Students also reflected on their own favorite food to eat at home with family - just like Bilal.
Here is our recipe that we modified slightly, based on the recipe in the book:
ASD Daal Recipe
2 cans lentils
1 cup water
6 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons coriander powder
1 tablespoon garam masala
2 onions diced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger
4 cloves of garlic
2 tomatoes diced
Squeeze of ¼ lemon
1. Heat tinned lentils in a slow cooker for 30 minutes with 1 cup of water.
2. Fry onions in olive oil until soft. Stir in spices.
3. Add tomatoes, ginger, garlic, lemon, cilantro and bring to a boil.
4. Combine all with lentils and bring back to a boil.
5. Serve with rice and yogurt.